University of Oklahoma Athletics
The Sooners welcome eight newcomers to join the seven returning from last season.
Tanner Groves, Jalen Hill, Jacob Bosquets, Bijan Cortes and CJ Noland are key comebacks from last season’s squad that earned five AP Top 25 wins and one NIT first-round win. T. Groves earned honorable mention All-Big 12 of the preseason and is Oklahoma’s leading returning scorer (11.6 PPG). Hill was the OU’s leading rebounder from 2021-22, averaging 5.9 rebounds per game. Hill added 9.1 points per game. Blake Seacat and Jacques Moser walk back.
Grant Sherfield joined Groves as the only two Sooners to receive preseason Big 12 honors. Sherfield was named Preseason Big 12 Newcomer of the Year and transferred to Oklahoma after two seasons at Nevada and one at Wichita State. Sherfield started 28 games for the Pack last season and posted team highs in minutes (35.7), points (19.1) and assists (6.4) per game. He led the Mountain West and was fourth in the NCAA in assists per game.
In addition to Sherfield, the Sooners have added transfers Joe Bamasile, Yaya Keita and Sam Godwinand freshmen Otega Oweh, Luke Northweather, Milos Uzan and Benny Schroder.
ON THE AIR
Tuesday’s game will be televised on ESPN+ with Chad McKee and Bryndon Manzer on the call.
The contest is scheduled to end at 7:00 p.m. CT and will air on the Sooner sports radio network (KRXO 107.7 FM The Franchise in Oklahoma City; KTBZ 1430 AM in Tulsa; Varsity Radio App) with the announcement of Toby Rowland and KevinHenry.
IN SEARCH OF THE STARS
Oklahoma City is in its second season under Mark Berokoff. The Stars finished the 2021-22 slate 17-14, 15-7 in Sooner Athletic Conference action, ending their season in the SAC Tournament semifinals.
- The Stars were selected seventh in the SAC preseason poll.
- Oklahoma City averaged 76.8 points per game last season and had 38.9 rebounds per game. The Stars finished 18th in the NAIA in 3-point attempts per game (27.3) and 3-point attempts per game (9.2).
Guardian Grant Sherfield was voted Big 12 Preseason Newcomer of the Year and striker Tanner Groves received Preseason All-Big 12 Honorable Honors. Sherfield is the first Sooner since Amath M’Baye in 2012-13 to be selected as the Preseason Newcomer of the Year and the seventh in program history. Sherfield was also named to the Bob Cousy Award Watch List.
- Sherfield played two seasons in Nevada and began his college career at Wichita State. He was named to the 2021-22 All-Mountain West Third Team and led the field in points (19.1), assists (6.4) and minutes per game (35.7). Prior to the 2021-22 season, Sherfield was voted the Mountain West Pre-Season Player of the Year and was selected to the All-Mountain West Pre-Season Team. After his second campaign, he was named Mountain West Newcomer of the Year and selected to the All-Mountain West First Team. Sherfield led the pack in points (18.6), assists (6.08) and steals (1.62) per game during the 2020-21 roster.
- Groves made his Crimson and Cream debut last season and averaged 11.6 points, 5.8 rebounds and 1.6 assists per game. The Spokane, Washington product started 34 games and earned 2021-22 All-Big 12 honorable mention honors. Groves was a three-time Newcomer of the Week to the Big 12 and is Oklahoma’s leading returning scorer. Prior to his time at Norman, Groves was the 2020-21 Big Sky Conference Most Valuable Player and was selected to the All-Big Sky First Team and NABC All-District 6 First Team.
BACK TO 1983
Oklahoma won 70-54 in the final regular season meeting between the Sooners and the Oklahoma City Stars on Friday, December 23, 1983.
- The Sooners were led by Waymen Tisdale, who finished 17 of 25 from the field and recorded a game-high 34 points. Tisdale added 15 rebounds and three blocks. Jim Pannell and Tim McCalister each finished in double digits. McCalister had 15 points and Pannell added a team-best 10 points and eight assists.
- Oklahoma limited Oklahoma City’s offense to 31.5% shooting on the day, including 27.0% in the first half. The Sooners outscored the Stars 50-39.
Oklahoma opens the regular season against Sam Houston on Monday, November 7 at 7 p.m. CT at Lloyd Noble Center.