5 Shot at IFIXUGLY on West Side + Twinkle In The 216
A popular hair salon on Cleveland’s West Side, frequented by children and professional athletes, was the target of a mass shooting on Thursday. Five people were injured and the shooter fled. This leads our news.
What else is happening today that you need to know?
- A Cleveland police officer has been charged with attempting to blackmail ex into an abortion.
- Get your tickets for “Sparkle in the 216” at the Botanical Garden.
- Video footage shows a Deshaun Watson lead feet get a highway ticket.
Plus, we’ve got a heartwarming Cleveland Fire👩🚒 shot of a dog rescued from fire. And an inside look at what can only be described as a “Ohio Bigfoot Convention.”
🌤️ Partly sunny; airy, softer. High: 65 Low: 51.
Shooter injures 5 at IFIXUGLY Barber Shop in Old Brooklyn
1) Five people were shot – two barbers and three customers – Thursday afternoon at the IFIXUGLY barber shop in Old Brooklyn. One of the injured is in critical condition with a chest injury. Owner Tim Gillespie said 30 people were in the Cleveland store at the corner of State Road and Saratoga. “The way he opened the door to the store and the way he fired, he didn’t care about anybody’s life. They didn’t care, man,” Gillespie said. The injured, aged 19 to 34, were taken to MetroHealth Medical Center. Police say the shooter fled in a red Toyota Corolla. Many professional athletes, including Guardians José Ramirez, had their hair cut at the store.
3WKYC News | Cleveland.com | IFIXUGLY on instagram
2) A Cleveland police officer sent an ex-girlfriend a nude photo of herself and threatened to send an explicit video to her employer to force her to have an abortion, according to disciplinary records of the Police Department. A year ago, Hassan Ali was touted as a hero for helping find a kidnapped baby. Now he is off the force, resigning amid an investigation into his behavior. The city accused him of repeatedly lying while texting the photo to the woman.
3) Tickets go on sale Oct. 22 for “Twinkle in the 216,” a new holiday decorating program at the Cleveland Botanical Garden. The show runs from November 19 to December 31. A 20-foot living tree constructed from plant materials will welcome visitors. “This year’s winter show will celebrate Cleveland’s neighborhoods with vignettes of iconic local architecture, as well as holiday favorites such as handmade gingerbread houses, lighted outdoor pathways, exhibits festive horticultural displays and decorated trees,” said Ryan Sandy, Exhibitions Director.
- Cleveland Botanical Garden hours, parking and admission fees don’t violate 140-year-old land donation, Ohio Supreme Court rules (Cleveland.com)
4) Laura Valentine sued Cedar Point for a refund on her 2020 season pass, which became unusable for part of the season because the park was closed during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. Cedar Point usually opens in May but didn’t open until July of this year. Valentine, of Mayfield Heights, filed a lawsuit to get her money back. This week, the Ohio Supreme Court ruled in favor of Cedar Point, saying the park did not need to issue a refund. The park has, however, extended season passes through 2021.
Fox 8 News
5) The Fox 8 I-Team recently obtained video footage of suspended Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson convicted of driving 97 mph in a 70 mph zone on the Ohio Turnpike in Sandusky this summer. The June 11 shutdown was recorded on the dashboard and body cameras. Watson paid for the ticket a few days later. The State Patrol blurred the faces of its passengers and a small dog, before releasing the video to the media.
Fox 8 News
Cleveland Fire to the Rescue
Three dogs have been rescued from an electrical fire at a West 49th Street home south of Spokane on Thursday. “The good work of Engine 20 and firefighter Brittney Buzzard saved Shenzi, Royal and Scamper.” Cleveland Fire tweeted. “No injuries reported.” The house suffered extensive damage.
5 more stories you must see
- Ohio has the fourth highest number of “credible” sightings of Bigfoot in the USA. Get a glimpse inside the “Big Foot Congress” at Pleasant Hill Lake Park near Mansfield (Cleveland Scene)
- princeton university Euclid’s student found dead (3News WKYC)
- First Energy donates nearly 1,000 trees to Cleveland Metroparks (Cleveland News 19)
- Steven Kwan of the Cleveland Guardians scoops of ice cream at Mason’s Creamery (3News WKYC)
- Cleveland Metroparks opens new outdoor bike pathoutdoor competition course and youth playground (3News WKYC)
🏡 Attention, real estate pros in Cleveland! We are now offering an exclusive sponsorship opportunity for an agent interested in attracting local clients and standing out from the competition. Click here to find out more.
🏘️ Potential buyerscheck out these real estate listings.
11 things to do
- 45th Anniversary of Bat Out of Hell, Music Box Supper Club, today | Details
- Friday night lights!, Cleveland Museum of Natural History, today | Details
- Joe Satriani From Surfing to Shockwave, MGM Northfield Park, today | Details
- An Alpine Symphony, Cleveland Orchestra, Severance Hall, today and October 22 | Details
- Cleveland Ballet’s Swan Lake, Connor Palace Theatre, today and October 22 | Details
- Ohio Bridal & Wedding Show, Huntington Convention Center: Hall A, October 23 | Details
- Cleveland Cavaliers home opener against Washington Wizards, Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse, October 23 | Details
- Award-winning author Barbara Kingsolver, Maltz Performing Arts Center, October 25 | Details
- Brewhouse Haunts: Haunted Historic Tours, Great Lakes Brewing Co., through October 26 | Details
- Les Miserables, State Theater, Cleveland, through October 29 | Details
- Terror Tales Walking Tours, Downtown Cleveland, through October 31 | Details
Learn more about our calendar | Add your event
- October is the month for adopting a shelter dog:“If cute faces are your kryptonite…meet Krypto! Krypto is exactly the superhero you need to save yourself from a life of loneliness! Krypto uses his muscles strictly for good – and maybe a little occasional mischief, all for fun. Krypto loves his activities, like playing in the yard or joining our running club, but he’s also an attentive, people-oriented dog. He’ll keep following you on his outings. walks and is eager to treat you!” (City Dogs Cleveland via Facebook)
- Of the heart: “Nathan is an 18-year-old non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma survivor whose wish was to meet the team. He came to practice with his family last Saturday and gave an awesome speech to break up the caucus and fire up the guys. 🙏 (Cleveland Browns via Instagram)
- Guardians Against Bullying: “On #SpiritDay and every day, we’re proud to stand up against the bullying of LGBTQ youth. Join us in making every child feel safe to be their authentic selves. Visit glaad.org/spiritday to learn more. know more.” (Cleveland Guardians via Instagram)
- This is not this club near the airport: “CATS is coming #Cleveland! 🐱 Andrew Lloyd Webber’s MEGAHIT Cats the Musical is coming to Playhouse Square in less than two weeks!! Join us November 1-20 as we continue our KeyBank Broadway 22/23 series with CATS !!!🤩” (Playhouse Square via Facebook)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!